Make Homemade CBD Edibles
CBD is safe and versatile with no side effects. The beauty of making your own edibles is that you can choose the exact amount of CBD oil or butter that you want to have in your food. And you can make a range of edibles that are not only tasty but even healthy.
Unlike THC-based edibles, you’ll be relaxed without having to worry about feeling “stoned” to the point where you may experience paranoia or anxiety.
Preparing to Make your CBD Edibles
As fat-soluble, hydrophobic substances, cannabinoids are best combined into oil-based products like butter and oil. To make CBD edibles, you first have to either buy CBD oil or make the oil or butter yourself.
So, which should you make? It depends on your end goals and preferences.
There are three different ways to make CBD oil: CO2, solvents, or oil.
- The CO2 method is safe and clean; however, it requires special equipment.
- The solvent method requires specific expertise and precision and is not recommended to the general public.
- Extracting CBD oil using a carrier oil like olive oil is probably the simplest of the three and is also very beneficial for your health.
Instructions for extracting CBD oil at home
Only certain strains of cannabis offer the best-quality CBD. Find a strain of plant with a high CBD and low THC level (buy now). As you prepare, you will need to ensure that you have a well-ventilated area. You should also have a solid understanding of how much CBD oil you would like to have in each treat and calculate this ahead of time.
To extract the oil, you will need a cup of carrier oil (virgin coconut oil is great) and 14 g of the right type of CBD buds.
*CBD Extraction Instructions: (adapted from naturalon.com)
- Grind the entire hemp plant, and put it in a canning jar with the carrier oil, placing the lid on tightly.
- Put the jar and a washrag in a saucepan with a few inches of water, and bring it to just below boiling, leaving it there for 3 hours and replacing water if it evaporates.
- Using tongs or oven mitts, give the jar a shake about every half an hour.
- When 3 hours are up, turn off the burner, and cover the pot with a towel.
- Allow the jar to cool for 3 hours, then repeat the process, leaving the jar in the pot with the towel on it overnight.
- Repeat the process over the course of a few days for stronger oil.
- When you have your oil, you can strain it through a cheesecloth.
If you are using CBD oil to cook, you should note that the boiling point is a maximum of 180 degrees C. These types of oils are sensitive to light and heat, so you should store them in a dark glass bottle and in a cool area.
DIY edibles aren’t for everyone. Some people prefer not to deal with the hassle of cooking and choose to buy CBD edibles. CBD comes in a wide variety of formats, including capsules, concentrates, and topicals.
What Recipes Can I Make With CBD Oil?
Now that you’ve made or purchased oil infused with CBD, you can start to make edibles. CBC oil is an extremely versatile substance that can be mixed into many different foods, including smoothies, salad dressings, and sweet snacks such as chocolates and lozenges. Or take a look at our high CBD edibles.
Here are a few ideas (remember not to heat your oil above 180 degrees C):
- Top your popcorn, potatoes, or toast with CBD-infused butter
- Add the butter to your favorite brownie or cookie recipe
- Use CBD oil just like other cooking oils to saute vegetables
- Add the oil to sauces and salad dressings
- Add CBD oil to pasta — it tastes especially good in cream sauces
- Use CBD oil to make oven-baked vegetable chips or roast veggies
- Use it in spicy Indian or Thai curries to hide the taste of the oil
- Use your oil in your morning smoothie to help you combat daily anxiety
- The oil can also be used in alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks and can even be brewed into beer!
There’s so much you can use CBD oil and butter for — the possibilities are endless.
It’s a good idea to start with very small amounts when you’re first experimenting with CBD oil in the kitchen as the flavor can be quite strong. And don’t forget to get creative and have fun!
CBD Gummie Bears!
- ½ cup of gelatin – I will ONLY use this brand of gelatin as it has loads of healthful properties
- 1 ½ cups of juice of your choice – you can use bottled or fresh squeezed juice 1 teaspoon of sweetener – I recommend this raw honey
- 24 drops of CBD oil *
- Natural food dye
Pour the gelatin into a glass bowl. In a medium size saucepan, mix the juice with the raw honey and warm the mixture until it starts to simmer. Please do this on the stovetop over low heat. No microwaving here!
Pull off the liquid from the heat. Mix the liquid into the gelatin by whisking quickly. Allow the liquid to cool for about 5 minutes.
Add the CBD oil into the mixture. Give everything a final whisking to make sure all ingredients are mixed well. If using dye, add that now and whisk again.
I divide my mixture into small bowls and add different colors at this point. Pour the mixture into gummy molds and put them into the refrigerator. Allow the molds to stay in the fridge until they seem firm….
SOURCE: https://hybridrastamama.com © Hybrid Rasta Mama
CBD infused brownie recipe
CBD Isolate can be added to a multitude of recipes to make your food CBD infused. My personal favorite is a standard brownie recipe infused with CBD Vegetable Oil.
½ cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup flour.
First you need to decide how potent you want the CBD edibles to be. This recipe makes about 10 brownies. The typical adult takes about 25mg of CBD per day. Mix the entire gram of CBD Isolate into 2 cups of oil. You will only be needing ½ cup (247.5mg of CBD) for this recipe.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Mix oil and sugar until well blended.
Add eggs and vanilla; stir just until blended.
Mix all dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
Stir dry ingredients into the oil/sugar mixture.
Pour into greased 9 x 9 square pan.
Bake for 20 minutes or until sides just start to pull away from the pan.
Cool completely before cutting.
The resulting brownies will contain 24.75mg of CBD if cut into 10 pieces. If you need a stronger batch of brownies, instead of mixing the CBD isolate into 2 cups in the beginning, just mix it into 1 cup. This will result in each brownie containing 49.5mg of CBD.
Master Wu’s Green Dragon Tincture
This guide was first published in 2006 on cannabis.com and is one of the most comprehensive tincture recipes available online, with detailed instructions and excellent tips and tricks. Master Wu’s recipe differs from the traditional method in that it uses heat to speed up the extraction and concentration process. Unlike the traditional method, you’ll be finished with this recipe in an evening.
- Decarboxylate your flower or extract (if you’re using flower, grind it to a fine consistency)
- Mix your flower or extract in a mason jar with high-proof alcohol (preferably Everclear)
- Simmer the jar in a water bath for 20 minutes at 170 degrees F
- Strain the mixture and store